- The population of the City of Toronto is 2.7 million people, with 5.8 million people living in the region.
- Toronto is the fourth largest City in North America.
- The regional population of Toronto is projected to grow to 7.45 million people by 2031.
- The population of the City of Toronto is expected to reach
3 million people by 2031.
Ethnic Origin & Visible Minorities
- Toronto's rich, multicultural diversity is expressed by the more than 200 distinct ethnicities (Statistics Canada, Censues 2006).
- Businesses located in the Toronto region have access to a multilingual workforce with French as the third language most often spoken at work after English and Chinese.
- Across Canada since 1981, there has been a 4-fold increase in people who identify themselves as visible minorities - up from 1.1 million in 1981 to just over 5 million in 2006.
- The Toronto region has the largest visible minority population of any Canadian region (43%).
- The top five visible minority populations in Toronto:
- South Asian - 298,370 (or 12%)
- Chinese - 283,075 (11.4%)
- Black - 208,555 (8.4%)
- Filipino - 102,555 (4.1%)
- Latin American - 64,860 (2.6%)
Source: Statistics Canada Catalogue no 94-581-XCB20062007
Click here for more information on the Diversity of the Toronto region.
Top of page
Projected population growth of the City of Toronto, Toronto region, Ontario and Canada.
Specific languages spoken in Toronto workplaces by total number.
Population of the City of Toronto, the Toronto region, Ontario and Canada.